- 9 Feb@BIGSOUNDtweets
- 9 Sep@BIGSOUNDtweetsRT @triplej: 'If this gig doesn't have free pulled pork, I'm out!" All our fav @BIGSOUNDtweets quotes https://t.co/iPO9rPLNFX https://t.co…Retweeted by BIGSOUNDtweets
- 9 Sep@BIGSOUNDtweetsRetweeted by BIGSOUNDtweets
- 8 Sep@BIGSOUNDtweetsRT @612brisbane: Did you miss Drive at #BIGSOUND16 yesterday? Good news: we've compiled most of the action into one handy playlist. https:/…Retweeted by BIGSOUNDtweets
- 8 Sep@BIGSOUNDtweets
- 8 Sep@BIGSOUNDtweetsRT @AmrapsAirIt: "I think it's important to acknowledge the hard work that community radio does for your music" @emily_wurramara @BIGSOUNDt…Retweeted by BIGSOUNDtweets
- 8 Sep@BIGSOUNDtweetsRT @themusicnetwork: #BIGSOUND16 panel on #sync: "an in episode use of a song on Grey's Anatomy would be $8-10k a side (for both master & c…Retweeted by BIGSOUNDtweets
- 8 Sep@BIGSOUNDtweetsRT @bolsterco: We've got some snapchat filters over the valley. Spice up your snaps... you know you want to ?? #BIGSOUND16Retweeted by BIGSOUNDtweets
- 8 Sep@BIGSOUNDtweetsRT @TheMusicComAu: A.B. Original just announced they're the first act on @lanewayfest 2017 during their @BIGSOUNDtweets keynote: https://t.…Retweeted by BIGSOUNDtweets
- 8 Sep@BIGSOUNDtweetsRT @TheMusicComAu: Briggs and Trials (with Funkoars) are both halfway through making new records #BIGSOUND16Retweeted by BIGSOUNDtweets
- 8 Sep@BIGSOUNDtweetsRT @TheMusicComAu: Briggs and Trials tap their feet, bop their heads every time Lindsay McDougall plays a song excerpt #BIGSOUND16Retweeted by BIGSOUNDtweets
- 8 Sep@BIGSOUNDtweetsRT @AmrapsAirIt: "Community radio program makers are intimately connected with the music scenes and genres they play" Cam Durnsford MD @pbs…Retweeted by BIGSOUNDtweets
- 8 Sep@BIGSOUNDtweetsRT @AmrapsAirIt: "It is absolutely about building those direct relationships" Chris Johnson #Amrap on approaching #CommunityRadio @BIGSOUND…Retweeted by BIGSOUNDtweets
- 8 Sep@BIGSOUNDtweetsRT @4ZZZ: Tesla Coils, part of the showcase of Gold Coast acts @BIGSOUNDtweets https://t.co/BRwGhq6z9KRetweeted by BIGSOUNDtweets
- 8 Sep@BIGSOUNDtweetsRT @TheMusicComAu: Peanut Butter Wolf gets nostalgic during @BIGSOUNDtweets keynote: https://t.co/CFLdVndfiO https://t.co/Et0cd2cTIWRetweeted by BIGSOUNDtweets
- 8 Sep@BIGSOUNDtweetsRT @WAUnified: UNIFIED are proud to announce their brand new initiative – The Unified Grant. Revealed today by UNIFIED founder... https://t…Retweeted by BIGSOUNDtweets
- 8 Sep@BIGSOUNDtweetsRT @bolsterco: Anth is gonna show you his moves at the Future Marketing panel today at 2PM ?? Get some #BIGSOUND16 @BIGSOUNDtweets https:/…Retweeted by BIGSOUNDtweets
- 8 Sep@BIGSOUNDtweetsRetweeted by BIGSOUNDtweets
- 8 Sep@BIGSOUNDtweetsRT @Queensland: Awesome start #BIGSOUND16 ? Keep tagging ur ?&? to #thisisqueensland ?? by @amyrkerby @myBakerylane @nightlifemusic https:/…Retweeted by BIGSOUNDtweets
- 8 Sep@BIGSOUNDtweetsRT @doncandon: Peanut Butter Wolf and J Rocc giving amazing insights into some @stonesthrow highlights. #BIGSOUND16 https://t.co/Gt4ueSpV4IRetweeted by BIGSOUNDtweets
BIGSOUND Wraps For 2016
And that’s all folks! BIGSOUND’s 15th birthday party has come to a satisfying end, with welcome sleep on the horizon for attendees, speakers, artists and event organisers alike! A massive week for the furthering of music and art as well as big steps forward in both business outcomes and industry discourse.
This year managed to capture the spirit of BIGSOUNDs past and roll them all up into 1 super shindig. Kim Gordon was arguably the highest profile artist ever to deliver a keynote at BIGSOUND, and her passionate speech forms part of the continuing BIGSOUND narrative about the experience of women in the music industry. QMusic has always been committed to the future of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander music, so there was considerable pleasure to welcome NT Indigenous label CAAMA as well as A.B. Original and so many other wonderful indigenous artists perform as part of BIGSOUND Festival. And as always, BIGSOUND 2016 was a place where real business was done that will make a meaningful difference to the lives of Australian musicians.
Especially worth mentioning is Virgin Australia’s reaffirmation of their long-term commitment to the Australian music industry, with the announcement that individual artists registered with their state music organisation are now entitled to a massive 64kg of checked baggage (up to 4 pieces) when travelling domestically within Australia.
It wasn’t all just business though. Fun is BIGSOUND’s first, middle and last names, and 2016 was no exception. The addition of day parties and the BIGSOUND Beer Garden bringing a new level of frivolity to proceedings, above and beyond the core offering of 160 super high-quality artists across 16 stages.
QMusic would like to acknowledge outgoing Executive Programmer Nick O’Byrne’s 4-year contribution to the development of BIGSOUND. Nick’s expertise has had a meaningful impact on the quality of the BIGSOUND experience. His collaboration with incoming Executive Programmer Maggie Collins this year bodes well for BIGSOUND’s future.
And what else of BIGSOUND’s future? Stay tuned for a massive announcement about the event’s future at the end of 2016…
BIGSOUND 2016 STATS
188 Conference Speakers
142 Australian – 124 from interstate
46 International – Canada, Germany, Indonesia, Netherlands, Norway, NZ, Singapore, South Korea, UK, USA
160 SHOWCASING BANDS/ARTISTS
151 Australian bands - 121 from interstate: 63 (VIC), 41 (NSW), 30 (QLD), 3 (TAS), 1 (NT), 9 (WA), 4 (SA), 9 (International – India, NZ, Singapore)
905 Artist wristbands on the loose!
1200 Australians - 371 (NSW), 365 (VIC), 337 (QLD), 55 (WA), 42 (SA), 18 (NT), 6 (ACT), 6 (TAS)
121 International – Belgium, Canada, France, Germany, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Malaysia, Netherlands, NZ, Norway, Papua New Guinea, Singapore, South Korea, UK, USA
WATCH VIDEOS FROM BIGSOUND!
Including full keynotes from Kim Gordon & Jaddan Comerford
NEWS | REVIEWS | INTERVIEWS | VIDEOS | GALLERY
BIGSOUND 2016 // DAY 1 HIGHLIGHTS
WEDNESDAY 7 SEPTEMBER ++WATCH VIDEO++
BIGSOUND 2016 // DAY 2 HIGHLIGHTS
THURSDAY 8 SEPTEMBER ++WATCH VIDEO++
Published: 22 Sep 2016 by QMusic Newsdesk