Categories and Prizes
You can enter your songs into any of the following genre categories:
• Alternative - this category is for contemporary indie songs that don’t fit into other genre categories
• Urban – this category is for hip-hop, r&b, beatbox and rap
• World - any song considerably influenced by traditional music of any culture
• Blues / Roots
• Gospel / Spiritual
• Primary School (school children in the years 1 - 7)
• Secondary School (school children in the years 8 - 12)
• Folk / Ballad
• Dance / Electronic
• Pacific Island - The Pacific Island category is for songwriters from the Pacific Islands region residing in Queensland.
Please do NOT combine the above categories as one category (e.g.: Pop/World)
Please note that Indigenous and Regional entries will be entered in those categories as a BONUS entry by Q Music. Do not select those categories on your entry form.
For physical entries: the same song can be entered in more than one category but a separate fee and separate line must be used on the entry form.
More than $25,000 in cash and prizes is up for grabs across the categories.
The following categories are nominated from finalists of the genre categories:
- Q Music Encouragement Award Sponsored
- The Courier-Mail People’s Choice Award
- The Grant McLennan Lifetime Achievement Award
- Published Song of the Year
- Song of the Year
The Billy Thorpe Scholarship Award!
The Billy Thorpe Scholarship Award will be presented at the 2010 Q Song Awards Cermony
The annual Billy Thorpe Scholarship, funded by Arts Queensland, will help an emerging Queensland-based musician break into the industry and honour the legacy of Billy Thorpe, who passed away on 28 February 2007. More Info.
Song of the Year Award
The Song of the Year Award is nominated from the finalists of each category.