BIGSOUND has been named Queensland Live Event of the Year for the third year running at the 2018 National Live Music Awards! A huge thanks to all the venues, volunteers, artists and partners that make BIGSOUND Festival possible.
Work at QMusic
QMusic, best known for the internationally-acclaimed BIGSOUND Festival, is seeking an entrepreneurial and visionary person to fill the role of Chief Executive Officer. Our organisation is enjoying a period of unprecedented growth, and this position is a wonderful opportunity for an inspiring and committed individual to play a central role in the continuing evolution of the music industry in Queensland and beyond.
What is QMusic?
QMusic is Queensland's music industry development association, a non-profit organisation dedicated to promoting the cultural, economic and artistic value of contemporary popular music in Queensland. Our core activities are:
1. Delivering professional development programs across Queensland that connect emerging practitioners into the national music industry
2. Staging the southern hemisphere's leading music industry conference and festival of new music - BIGSOUND
3. Shining a light on the be st new songwriters in Queensland via the Queensland Music Awards
4. Developing new programs and services to enhance the professional futures of individuals and the music industry as a whole
5. Administering grants programs on behalf of Arts Queensland (Grant McLennan Fellowship, Billy Thorpe Scholarship)
6. Liaising and partnering with government at all levels to increase public understanding and support for the music industry
What does the CEO role entail?
The CEO reports to the Management Committee of QMusic. The core duties of the CEO are to:
1. Develop and monitor the strategic plan in conjunction with the QMusic management committee
2. Provide overall leadership for the creative and strategic development of the QMusic family of brands / experiences, including acting as Executive Producer for BIGSOUND Festival
3. Represent the organisation and its events/programs to all stakeholders and the media
4. Ensure the overall financial sustainability of the organisation by managing the annual budget and being actively involved in fundraising, corporate sponsorship and government grant acquisition
5. Directly manage the organisation's 6 senior staff/contractors to ensure a positive, progressive and outward looking team culture and the continuing improvement and diversification of all our activities
What sort of person are we looking for?
- Ideally, higher degree in digital media, business management or music
- Events strategy and management experience for complex, large scale events for diverse audiences/stakeholders.
- Management, planning and facilitation in the music, arts or related industry;
- Experience in the music industry, particularly the broader Australian music industry, is highly regarded.
- Extensive experience in raising funds from multiple sources
- Experience leading the development of a brand or family of brands
Skills & Knowledge:
- Ability to strategically develop events and brands
- Knowledge of and/or experience in philanthropic fundraising, corporate sponsorship and government funding
- Established networks, or the ability to establish networks in the Queensland business and government sectors;
- Established networks, or the ability to establish networks in the music industry;
- Strong financial acumen, or capacity to develop from a good starting base
- Deep understanding of current trends in festival and conference experience design
- Highly developed interpersonal, oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to manage and mentor a team
- Understanding of organisational development processes and good governance
- Open-minded and creative
- Strategic and entrepreneurial
- Empathetic and inclusive
- Curious/life-long learner
- Technologically and aesthetically astute
How do I apply?
A position description is available here. If you think you fit this description and are interested in joining QMusic, please forward a CV and cover letter outlining your suitability for the role to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm, December 24.
If you have any questions about the role, please contact QMusic President Michael Crutcher on (07) 3041 1115 or email@example.com
QMusic, Queensland's music industry development association best known for its annual delivery of the BIGSOUND conference and festival, is seeking an aspiring industry leader to take up the mantle of QMusic Program Manager.
The QMusic Program Manager is the primary QMusic touchpoint for emerging Queensland artists and industry professionals. This is a great opportunity for an open-minded and warm person with experience working across the music industry to coordinate a program with the power to genuinely transform the professional futures of other people.
What does the QMusic Program Manager actually do?
QMusic's state-wide development program Industry Connect provides emerging artists and music business professionals with the knowledge, relationships and opportunities they need to begin to build a sustainable career in music. Industry Connect is a 6-workshop series that takes attendees through the journey of releasing your music into the world, and takes place throughout regional and metropolitan Queensland. Your job is to coordinate the delivery of this program in collaboration with local partners and the national industry leaders that deliver the workshops.
You will also coordinate the judging process for the Queensland Music Awards, act as BIGSOUND Artist Liaison, and administer the grants programs we manage on behalf of Arts Queensland (The Billy Thorpe Scholarship and the Grant McLennan Fellowship). You will also be an integral part of the team's discussion and planning about the organisation's full range of endeavours.
Who would be good at this job?
We're looking for someone who has:
- Diverse networks in the music industry (ideally nationally)
- At least 5 years' diverse experience in the music industry, and subject matter expertise in at least one discipline
- Experience managing events, or as a performer
- An appetite for exploring new music, learning new things and helping other people grow
- The personal qualities required to effectively work autonomously and as part of the team
How do I apply?
Please click on the position description here to read more about the role. If you'd like to apply, please email a 1-page cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm Sunday December 2. Feel free to email if you'd like an initial discussion of the role.
We encourage people of diverse backgrounds, ethnicities and genders to apply for this role at QMusic, and would especially welcome applications from suitably qualified people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent. QMusic is an open-minded and welcoming workplace dedicated to the wellbeing of both its employees and the community of interest that it serves.
About to finish school for the year and want something fun to do over the summer break? There are a bunch of great youth workshops, events and opportunities happening all around Queensland. From songwriting camps to awesome gigs to learning how to work in radio, check out all the exciting things happening over the holidays!
Gold Coast's HOTA (Home of the Arts) have launched their new Creative Development Program, offering cash support for both individual artists and arts companies for the development of new projects and opening up their spaces to be used in creating and performing new work. Apply before 25 January!
QMusic is proud to announce the Women in Music Mentoring program. Apply now for one of eight mentorships and learn in a one-on-one environment from female leaders in the Queensland business community.